Timber damage by termites is prevalent all over Australia, so it only makes good business sense for anyone involved in any type of real estate transaction to find out all they can about termites and termite control.
In fact, termites have been known to chew their way through the walls and roof of a newly constructed home in just three short months! That’s an incredible amount of damage in a very short period of time. The cost of termite damage can quickly add up.
You can see why prospective homeowners and property investors must always check for these destructive pests before making a purchase, even if the house is brand new.
Seven Eye-Opening Termite Facts
- More damage has been done to homes in Australia by termites than has been done by storms, floods and fires combined.
- Studies have revealed that as many as one third of unprotected homes are presently under attack. Be aware that the risk of termites increases within 100 metres of mature gum trees.
- Homes built with softwood are more susceptible to termite infestation since termites find this species of wood particularly tasty.
- Termites are voracious. They eat 24 hours a day, seven days a week over a lifetime of about one to two years. Termite queens are known to live for as long as ten years.
- Termite damage can be found along foundations, on windowsills, and behind stained or blistered paint and wallpaper. Damage behind walls can be determined by banging on the wall with a hard object. Listen for a hollow sound. If an icepick or screwdriver sinks into the wood, you have a problem with termites.
- Termites are attracted to damp wood, so make sure all water drains away from your home.
- Termite damage is not covered by most Australian homeowner policies. Homeowners and property investors are responsible for keeping their own properties termite free.
Do-it-yourself termite control is possible, but the risks often outweigh any cost savings. Your home or investment property is a large financial investment that termites can destroy in matter of months. Don’t take any chances. Let a professional pest control company do what they do best and keep your home termite free.
Want more weird facts about termites? Check out this list: “10 Cool Facts About Termites“.